Top 50 Photos of 2012 in Northwest Philadelphia (10-1)
This week, NewsWorks brings you our 50 favorite pictures that appeared on the Northwest Philadelphia pages during 2012.
Think we missed any? Agree or disagree with our unscientific rankings?
10. "Dragon Boat USA team trains on the Schuylkill" (July 23). A view from the front seat of a 20-seat Dragon Boat as a crew paddles down the Schuylkill. (Bas Slabbers/for NewsWorks)
9. "A joyous scene greeted Germantown High School's Class of 2012 grads" (June 12). To start the ceremony, male and female students descended stairs on opposite sides of the altar. Then, they met near Principal Margaret Mullen-Bavwidinsi. (Bas Slabbers/for NewsWorks)
8. "An investigative journey to the center of the Germantown earth" (May 22). Dr. Willie Bank was the first to venture down into a mysterious underground room in Germantown. (Olivia Jane Winters/for NewsWorks)
7. "A sneak peek at Manayunk's elaborate water art exhibit" (June 14). Eduardo Calmon puts some finishing touches on the structure created for "Escaped Infastructure," an art installation along the Manayunk Canal. (Brad Larrison/for NewsWorks)
6. "Hurricane Sandy's path to, and through, Northwest Philadelphia" (Oct. 29). Alem, a Germantown resident, fixes his umbrella on Chelten Avenue near Germantown Avenue. (Brad Larrison/for NewsWorks)
5. "Cab slams into Sneaker Town storefront in Roxborough" (Feb. 9) "We saw this taxi driver coming through the front door and we just heard a loud crash," said Joe Son, owner of Sneaker Town at 6186 Ridge Ave. (Lane Blackmer/for NewsWorks)
4. "Hurricane Sandy's path through Northwest Philadelphia: Day Two" (Oct. 30). An aerial view of Lincoln Drive in Northwest Philadelphia, the day after Hurricane Sandy blew through the region. (Dave Tavani/for NewsWorks)
3. "Man shot and killed in West Oak Lane [Updated with video]" (Aug. 28). The daughter of a murder victim is consoled by her aunt at the scene. (Bas Slabbers/for NewsWorks)
2. "Sun Ra Arkestra makes rare hometown appearance at University City concert series [Video]" (July 31). A short, but heavy, shower came down during the sound check. Just before 6 p.m., the sun broke through the clouds, creating perfect conditions for an evening outdoor concert. (Bas Slabbers/for NewsWorks)
1. "Eagles Eye Mobile visit 'a blessing' for Germantown's Wister Elementary School" (Nov. 13). Shamaya Combs-Simmons of Wister Elementary School in Germantown checks out her new pair of glasses in the Eagles Eye Mobile. (Brad Larrison/for NewsWorks)