15 more death-defying stunts we'd like to see Mayor Nutter attempt
Mayor Michael Nutter rappelled down the side of a 20-story building at 15th and Market streets in Center City Philadelphia today. The stunt was part of a fundraiser for Outward Bound Philadelphia, a nonprofit that teaches outdoor skills.
It's not maybe as dramatic as Newark, N.J., Mayor Corey Booker's fire rescue last spring, but it's a change of pace for a buttoned-up man who travels with his own podium. And it's doing something to draw some positive attention to Philadelphia.
Nutter has been letting his ... um ... hair down a lot lately. (Note his celebration of "crisis casual" throughout Hurricane Sandy's approach.) He's been known to jump in with the neighborhood kids to open the city's public pools. He literally took us to church two summers ago to lambaste those punk flash mob kids who were beating up freaked-out pedestrians in Center City. (Come on. He knew that jawn would end up on YouTube.)
We're beginning to think there isn't much he wouldn't do to get Philadelphia in the spotlight. So we thought we'd help him plan his next death-defying stunt with these 15 ideas.
1. Enlist all of City Council to help him run a fleet of radio-controlled cars through an intersection with a red light camera. Just to show people what could happen.
2. Get off the last El of the night at Kensington and Allegheny without a security detail.
3. Balance the city budget on time.
4. Knock back a draft beer in a 2 Street bar on New Year's Day.
5. Skate a fakie on the lip of the LOVE Park fountain.
6. Eat three Schmitters in one sitting.
7. Face a Roy Halladay fastball — with everything on it.
8. Stand in for LeSean McCoy at running back during the Saints game on Monday.
9. Answer a question in six words or fewer.
10. Compete in the Wing Bowl.
11. Swim freestyle across the Delaware.
13. Yarn bomb a sweater for one of those inflatable rats the union guys like to set up at construction sites.
14. Sit the PSSA exam without the "help" of a teacher.
15. Try to pass that trash collection "fee" again.
Effusive thanks to the following for some great ideas: Shai Ben-Yaacov, Peter Crimmins, Mary Cummings-Jordan, Denis Devine, Brian Hickey, Jennifer Lynn, Tom MacDonald, Shannon McDonald, Patty McMahon, Marty Moss-Coane, Nora O'Dowd, Megan Pinto, Maiken Scott, Zack Seward, Marilyn D'Angelo.
Now your turn — give us your ideas.
Support provided by