Philadelphia Archdiocese suspends two more priests
March 30, 2011By Elizabeth Fiedler
Once again, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia is taking action following devastating child sex abuse allegations laid out in a grand jury report. Today, church officials placed two unnamed retired priests on administrative leave.
Cardinal Justin Rigali placed the two retired priests on administrative leave effective immediately, following an initial review of the cases. The Archdiocese said a more thorough investigation will be conducted, and the interim measures are not in any way final determinations or judgments. In a written statement, the Archdiocese said both of the priests are retired and live in private residences. One retired in 2005 and due to health reasons is not currently serving in any public ministry. The Archdiocese said the other priest retired in 2006 and has assisted at parishes in another diocese, and the Bishop of the Diocese where he resides has been informed.
Lawyer Marci Hamilton represents people suing the Archdiocese for alleged abuse.
"The Archdiocese announcement is once again too little, too late," Hamilton said. "It's about time that they took at least those 2 retired priests out of active ministry because we know that perpetrators abuse well up into their 80s."
Earlier this month, Cardinal Rigali placed 21 priests on administrative leave based on recommendations made by a former child abuse prosecutor who was brought in by the Church to examine allegations.