Fire investigators say Monday night's fire at the Canterbury Village Apartments in Bear started in the kitchen of a third floor unit.

 

The Delaware Fire Marshal's Office blames the fire on cooking materials that ignited on the stove top in a third floor apartment at 5600 Byron Court in Bear.  The fire, which caused an estimated $1 million in damage, forced more than 20 people from their homes.  

A 51-year-old man was seriously injured in the fire.  He was taken to Crozer Medical Center in Pennsylvania where he was last listed in critical condition.

The apartment complex management is working with residents to determine when they can re-enter their apartments to retrieve personal items.  The Red Cross is also providing emergency assistance.