Keep busy this summer in N.J., Pa. and Del. without breaking the bank
With summer approaching and gas prices averaging around $4 a gallon, a lot of families are rethinking the long vacation road trip or one that involves expensive airfare.
Jen A. Miller, a writer and NewsWorks New Jersey blogger ("Down the Shore with Jen") joined Pennsylvania travel writer Christine O'Toole and Delaware travel writer Mara Gorman on WHYY's Radio Times to discuss all the great things to do this summer in the region without breaking the bank.
The trio helped compile a list of activities for you and your family.
Do you see any glaring omissions from the list? Tell us what you would add.
- Chrstine O'Toole says you can find a cabin in a state park for around $60 per night for a family. State parks can provide hiking and lake activities and great mountain views. The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources has all the information you need to find area state parks.
Day trip locations
There are several state parks that also make for a great day trip:
- Gettysburg National Military Park
- Ringing Rocks State Park
- Cherry Springs State Park
- The Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation in Ridley Creek State Park
- Visit an alpaca farm in Cape May, N.J.
- Delaware Children's Museum and its giant climbing structure and rock climbing wall
- The Crayola Museum in Easton, Pa., and the National Canal Museum
- The Winterthur Museum in Delaware and its "Enchanted Woods" exhibit
- The Quiet Valley Living Historical Farm in Stroudsburg, Pa.
- The Wilmington and Western Railroad in Delaware
- The 47,000 acre Edwin B. Forsythe Wildlife Refuge just outside of Atlantic City, N.J.
- Sunset Beach in Cape May Point, N.J., and its kids diamond collection activity
- Island Beach State Park in New Jersey
- Cape Henlopen State Park and historic Lewes, Del.
- Mt. Gretna in Pennsylvania
- Glass making at Wheaton Village Arts and Cultural Center
- Fishing at Fisherman's Paradise in Pennsylvania
- Tubing down the Delaware River
- Ride the ferry to Ft. Delaware
- Pennsbury Manor
- DuPont Nature Center
- Delaware Center for the Contemporary Arts
- Historic Old New Castle
- Historic Lititz