How do you tell Philly 'Happy Valentine's Day'?
February 14, 2013By Eric Walter
Today is a day to talk about love. We have to assume you've already told your partner, your kids, your pets that you love them. But have you shown the same kind of love toward your city?
Philadelphia takes it on the chin all the time. The least you can do show her that you care.
"I love Philly for its rich history and walkability," says WHYY-FM producer Jennifer Lynn. The city is "much safer and cleaner than it was 25 years ago."
"I love the neighborhood feel of the city," says WHYY radio engineering supervisor Joyce Lieberman, who was born in Brooklyn and lives in Mt. Airy.
"When I was young, I thought I would live in NYC," Lieberman said, "but since moving here, I never looked back."
Now she says, "New York is a great place to visit."
Here are some of the many reasons WHYY staffers love Philly:
- $2 max to take the El/subway? Try finding that somewhere else.
- Northeast, North, Riverwards, South, Southwest, West, Northwest, Center City — all inherently different, yet so very much the same
- I adore the people I've met here.
- Citizens Bank Park on a warm summer's evening, with Doc in top form.
- The concerned, involved citizens. And the murals!
- Two thirds of New York at half the price.
- The Ellen Powell Tiberino Memorial Museum
- The Schuylkill Expressway. Just kidding.
Get on Twitter and tell us #whyilovephilly — or tell us in the comments below. We'll share the best responses.